[rc5] Why not have Solaris clients autodetect?

Stuart Anthony denitto at llamas.net
Mon Aug 18 15:51:52 EDT 1997

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Jot Powers wrote:

> Unless there is a speed issue, I can't think of any reason
> not to have the Sparc architecture machines auto-detect their
> cpu type via the arch -k command.
>
> This way, there is no need for a generic and ultra binary.
>
> (Ultra's will return sun4u, 5's, 10's and 20's sun4m and
> IPX, SS2's sun4c.)
>
> So, why not?
>
> -Jot

Well, seeing as I'm the one who compiled the ultra binary, I'll answer ya.

The ultra client is compiled for Ultra only.  There are routines that take
advantage of the Ultra's 64bit registers and all that will not run on a
super or hyper sparc. (I should know, I compiled the client on a SS10.)

--Pete

The cows are tromping all over America. Cows can replicate. They're
being born all over the world. There's plenty of beef available!
		-- US Representative Zoe Lofgren (D-Ca)