[rc5] Speed freeks with Cyrix, AMD, PPro or RISC machines ?

Marc Sissom msissom at dnaent.com
Mon Aug 18 12:48:46 EDT 1997

At 09:09 AM 8/18/97 -0700, you wrote:

>> post the perl script
>
>I would, except for the fact that it doesn't work for v2 clients.
>
>Now, if you still want it, and can explain why you want it, I'll
>happily give it out.  :)

Easy, on our ppro and 6x86 machines, Remi's optimized v1 code is
still faster under NT and linux than the bovine v2.4 client. For
that matter so is the cyberian(gasp!) client. We _choose_ to
remain in the "dark ages". Only thing is, we don't need the
scheduler ;-)

I have found that it is just not worth it. If the user is not
interested in the project, leave them and their machines alone.
This is also the edict that we got from the sysadmin folk ages
ago when the contest started: "Users can do anything that they
want to their own machines, just don't expect any support from
us if you mess with the official configuration."

  Marc Sissom               | Design Engineer
  DNA Enterprises, Inc.     | Phone: 972/644-3301
  269 W. Renner Parkway     | Fax: 972/644-6338
  Richardson, Texas 75080   | http://www.dnaent.com