[rc5] Why not have Solaris clients autodetect?

Jot Powers jot at tmp.medtronic.com
Mon Aug 18 13:14:06 EDT 1997

> The ultra client is compiled for Ultra only.  There are routines that take
> advantage of the Ultra's 64bit registers and all that will not run on a
> super or hyper sparc. (I should know, I compiled the client on a SS10.)

So, how much bigger would the executable be if those routines
were selected at run-time.

(Forgive me, I have no idea if you did hand ASM on this or not, although
I suspect you did).

Still I would assume that an initial branch would be fairly easy.

Regardless, I'll assume it isn't or you would have done it.  Thanks.

-Jot

--
Jot Powers
Unix System Administrator, Medtronic Micro-Rel
jot at tmp.medtronic.com
"Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the tail and face the situation."