[rc5] Why not have Solaris clients autodetect?

James Lick jlick at drivel.com
Mon Aug 18 17:32:59 EDT 1997

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Jot Powers wrote:
> Unless there is a speed issue, I can't think of any reason
> not to have the Sparc architecture machines auto-detect their
> cpu type via the arch -k command.

The solution I've chosen is to name the binaries appropriately and have a
simple shell script wrapper look for the appropriate binary based on
uname output.  This accomodates all of sparc/generic, ultrasparc, and x86
and could handle other unix variants as well with some simple changes to
the script.  In fact, if the binaries were distributed with appropriate
names, a generic wrapper could also be distributed and used in
heterogeneous environments wihtout change.  I'd be willing to assist the
developers with a script and the naming standard.

-- James Lick -- jlick at drivel.com -- http://drivel.com/jlick/ --