[rc5] Why not have Solaris clients autodetect?

Jot Powers jot at tmp.medtronic.com
Mon Aug 18 18:05:18 EDT 1997

> The solution I've chosen is to name the binaries appropriately and have a
> simple shell script wrapper look for the appropriate binary based on
> uname output.  This accomodates all of sparc/generic, ultrasparc, and x86
> and could handle other unix variants as well with some simple changes to
> the script.  In fact, if the binaries were distributed with appropriate
> names, a generic wrapper could also be distributed and used in
> heterogeneous environments wihtout change.  I'd be willing to assist the
> developers with a script and the naming standard.

The butt ugly solution for me (and we're going to see how well it works
in about 2 minutes) was to modify my script to do an

rc5-`arch -k` and then use links to the correct executable.

However, since I have some machines that can run it all day, some
and then want to run it on the weekends for 62 hours, and on the
weekdays for 14, I ended up with 6 links to the generic binary
and 3 to the ultra binary.  Then, the same number of links to
ini files.

As elegant approaches go, this sucks rocks.

(BTW: The reason I don't want to do the distributed crontab entry
is the pain in the ass if I have to update it, excluding machines,
etc....It's easier to build logic into a program and then run that
out of cron on one machine and have it rsh to the other machines.)

Like I said, as solutions go, this one sucks.

-Jot

--
Jot Powers
Unix System Administrator, Medtronic Micro-Rel
jot at tmp.medtronic.com
"Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the tail and face the situation."