[rc5] Next Crack

Ryan rskrueger at jtmd.com
Wed Aug 20 18:54:47 EDT 1997

>What is going to happen when the current code is cracked?  With all the
>power we have behind this one now, I think that the coders should
>prepare a new version of the client to crack the next hardest key.  Then
>when one of us finds the key and it is confirmed, we can then go and
>start cracking the next one, keeping most of the people and strength.

Of course it's in the FAQ, but there is some discussion left.

The current rate is 0.35% of the keyspace per day.  Of course that speeds
up, but it speeds up slowly.  That means that it would take 285.7 days to
examine the entire current 56 bit keyspace.

The next challenge it 64 bits.  That's 256 times larger!  At the current
rate it would take 73139.2 days--200.4 years to examine the keyspace.
This is an impracticle challenge.

Of course the keyrate will go because of more computers joining, faster
computers coming out, and slightly faster clients, but still not enough
in the near future.

However, those other problems (prime numbers, etc) are interesting.  The
real challenge is the swappable clients, and more important, making the
client less intrusive.  (Invisible.)

I can imagine two possibilities:

1. Certain organizations (Bovine, Cyberian) make a wrapper client for
each platform that runs in the background and they swap the problem
whenever they want to something different.  This is interesting because
they could get this massive installed base and then sell time to some
company that needs incredible power.  But most time would be for more
academic purposes, otherwise people wouldn't volunteer their CPU time.

2. A generic distributed process API is created and all machines have it
as an option at install time (default on).  Then a developer could write
a chunk of code to the API and it would distribute it on the internet in
real time and then return the answer.  I know stuff like this has been
done a little before, but not yet to the point where any machine can be a
partner in any arbitrary problem.  Of course Java is an ideal language
for this, except that it's slow which defeats part of the whole point,
but it does diminish once you have so many computers.

-Ryan Krueger
-rskrueger at jtmd.com
-James Tower Media Design