[rc5] Next Crack

Gary Jackson bargle at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Aug 20 21:49:32 EDT 1997

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Ryan wrote:

> 2. A generic distributed process API is created and all machines have it
> as an option at install time (default on).  Then a developer could write
> a chunk of code to the API and it would distribute it on the internet in
> real time and then return the answer.  I know stuff like this has been
> done a little before, but not yet to the point where any machine can be a
> partner in any arbitrary problem.  Of course Java is an ideal language
> for this, except that it's slow which defeats part of the whole point,
> but it does diminish once you have so many computers.

MPICH provides a good interface for this sort of thing.  It implements
MPI, which is a standard API for developing parallel programs in fortran
or C, and it runs on a lot of UNIX boxes, and I think there is a WinNT
version somewhere.  Its still a little rough around the edges, though.

There is a lot of active research in this area.

--
					Gary