[rc5] Multiple Processes

dan carter daniel.carter at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Fri Aug 22 00:34:43 EDT 1997

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:48:16 +0200 (MET DST), Ivo Janssen wrote:

>I heard rumours that someone tried this and got more keys/s in total
>when running more clients on 1 proc. Don't know how he did that,
>though.

I expect it would work something like this, suppose there are two low
priority processes running. If one of them is an RC5 client, then RC5
gets 1/2 the CPU time. If we start up another rc5 client, then each
process is going to get 1/3 cpu time, but rc5 gets 2/3 overall.
So if we run two or more rc5 clients, and if any other low priority
processes or threads run, they will run slower, and rc5 will get more
cpu time.

I know in the case of OS/2 there are lots of apps that spawn short
lived low priority threads to do bits and pieces. If an app launches a
low priority thread, then its not likely to be anything important that
would give a noticeable performance hit to the app in general
(otherwise the app would launch it at a normal priority)