[rc5] Next Crack

Fedor Kouranov ted99 at ibm.net
Thu Aug 21 18:31:18 EDT 1997

On 08/21/97 Ivo Janssen <ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl> said:

>Well, what about a central master keyserver, where efforts get their keys
>as their sub-master-servers run out of blocks?

It's kinda what I've proposed, but I didn't want to propose writing a
dedicated keyserver or getting too formal. It's a lot of work. Probably
some coordination through forms/email will work better.

On 08/21/97 Steve Trottier <STROTTIER at novell.com> said:

>I'm not sure why you think that the Bovine effort would be interested in
>RC5-64. In the FAQ, they mention Mersenne Primes and Distributed Chess
>Engine as candidates for the next project but do not mention RC5-64.

I'm not talking about the Bovine RC5-56 cracking effort moving towards
RC5-64, I'm talking about distributed.net coordinating whomever want to
crack that one. If Bovine goes 64 bit the coordinator will assign it a
sector. Probably RC5-64 crackers will trust distributed.net more if it
isn't involved in the cracking.

Now, concerning cracking 64 bits. I think people have become addicted to
cracking and $10k are still waiting...

 /** Christ Is Risen ! *** __+__ ******  Fedor "Ted" Kouranov  *****/
 /* Xristos Voskrese ! **   \|    ** ted99 at ibm.net * fedor at bu.edu **/
 /** Xristos Anesti ! ****   |\  ** http://enz.siobc.ras.ru/~fedor */