[rc5] Next Crack

Steve Trottier STROTTIER at novell.com
Fri Aug 22 17:18:30 EDT 1997

It wouldn't be that slow if you had most of the client functionality in Java
but had the cracking portion done as a native method.  Keyspace retrieval,
transmitting, buffering, user interface, etc, could all be done in Java and
the code cracking stuff could be done in a platform specific loadable module
(DLL or whatever) and in theory it should be just as fast as it is now.

>>> Vincent Janelle <random at avara.com> 08/22/97 02:49PM >>>
Sigh, Java code is slower than taking the v1 source and compling it on
your own machine.  In fact, it is 130 times slower, and due to "features"
in Java, you would have to have a proxy server on the server you retrieved
the url from.  It is a nice idea, and it was done, and it was slower than
a SE/30.  Since the machines that Java has been ported to already have
native client, the loss in performance would be tremendous.