[rc5] Next Crack

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Sat Aug 23 09:41:12 EDT 1997

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Vincent Janelle wrote:

> Uh sorry to burst your bubble, Java wn't fly that way.  Java is designed
> with security in mind, so executing code all willynilly off the person's
> hd is a no-no, and besides, tha would defeat the purpose of a Java client,
> since you would need precompile code made for that person's OS and
> processor type, which also defeats the purpose of Java.  And in fact, with
> the java intepreter overhead, it would be slower.

There are two types of Java programs: applets and applications.
Applets have all the security restrictions you're thinking of, since
they're designed to run within a web browser.  Applications don't
have those restrictions, but they must be downloaded and executed as
stand-alone programs.

But the speed consideration eliminates Java.

Has anyone considered a Perl implementation?  That would probably be
much faster than Java, and Perl is more widely available than Java at
the moment.  Sorry if this has already been discussed to death, but I'm
new here....

-------                   wooledge at kellnet.com                     -------
---              http://kellnet.com/wooledge/main.html                 ---