[rc5] Next Crack

Ryan Krueger rskrueger at jtmd.com
Mon Aug 25 11:25:16 EDT 1997

>> Sigh, Java code is slower than taking the v1 source and compling it on
>> your own machine.  In fact, it is 130 times slower, and due to "features"
>> in Java, you would have to have a proxy server on the server you retrieved
>> the url from.  It is a nice idea, and it was done, and it was slower than
>> a SE/30.  Since the machines that Java has been ported to already have
>> native client, the loss in performance would be tremendous.
>
>Agreed. I think most people would be put off by the speed penalty of Java.

What a pissy trade-off.  The huge step that one source would provide vs.
the slowness of java.

However, the JIT compilers have been coming into fruition.  The web site

http://www.intergalact.com/java/speedtest/speedtest.html

suggests that JIT compilers can be faster than C++.  Of course this will
vary greatly, but it's encouraging.  Compiled Java will never be as fast
as assembly, but is in the neighborhood.

Anyway, a Java based client is not impossible and the speed lost by not
going to assembly can be made up by more people running the client.

Another idea:  There is a lag in writing the different platform clients,
Java could be the bridge to start a new project on all platforms and then
swap in the native code when it gets done.

-Ryan Krueger
-rskrueger at jtmd.com
-James Tower Media Design