[rc5] Random keyblocks

Icepick icepick at pclink.com
Mon Aug 25 14:37:37 EDT 1997

At 01:23 PM 8/25/97 -0600, Eric Gindrup wrote:

>     What percentage of finished keyblocks are random right now?

Don't know.

> When does it stop being helpful to produce random keyblocks?

IMO, never.  Any idle time is bad.  Better to double-check or
triple check a block, with the small chance of hitting a new
block than just to sit idle.

> What is the average number of random blocks produced by a client
> that falls back to producing random blocks?

Don't know.

> Would it be equally valuable to "pass out" tardy blocks to be
> handled by detached clients?

Tardy blocks?  If you mean blocks that have been checked out for
a long time, then no, not really.  A block that has been checked
out, but never reported back has no more chance to be "the" block
than the next one in the hand-out queue.

Bovine's cordinators have stated that if/when the entire keyspace
has been handed out, that they'll start going through the blocks
that haven't been reported back.

> At what completion percentage would it be more productive to
> start handing out tardy blocks instead of producing random blocks?

Don't know if it would really matter.  Especially with the
buff-in.rc5 files working as a stack rather than a queue.  IE
"Oh, I've only got 5 blocks left in my buffer."  Update, and repeat.
Those 5 blocks don't get worked on, at least untill the keyspace
is exausted.