[rc5] Personal Proxy on Linux

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Mon Aug 25 13:24:59 EDT 1997

At 01:50 PM 8/25/97 -0500, Thomas L. Fors wrote:
>I have a personal proxy running on Linux and occasionally, the clients
>will time-out connecting to it and connect to a different proxy.  Is that
>normal?
>
>It seems to happen when the client sends the completed blocks back to the
>personal proxy.  The personal proxy starts flushing its out-buff to disk
>and the client gets network errors, but rather than sleep for 3 seconds
>and try the proxy again, the client goes elsewhere?

Yes, the v2 clients will all eventually time out on failed network opens
after 4 failed tries to the preferred keyserver that you specify in the
config, it'll try to open a default connection to rc5proxy.distributed.net
until 10 failed tries, at which point it generates a random block.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lawson     <jlawson at hmc.edu>    http://rc5.distributed.net/
Original Organizer/Programmer of the Bovine RC5 Cracking Effort