[rc5] v2.004 for DEC UNIX, Linux a.out & ELF, FreeBSD

Friedemann Baitinger baiti at herrenberg.netsurf.de
Mon Aug 25 18:09:15 EDT 1997

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Jeff Lawson wrote:

> A slightly newer 2.004 standard Linux ELF x86 binary is also now available.
>  The only difference in this version from that of the original release is
> that it should perform auto-cpu detection more reliably now.

It does indeed a better job in autodetecting the right CPU. I have tried
it with an overclocked P5 and overclocked PPro. It still fails to
detect the right CPU once in a while. When I first started it on the
Ppro, it autoselected Intel 386/486 optimized code. Ctrl-C and restart
caused it to correctly autoselect Intel Pentium Pro/Pentium II optimized
code.

Same happened on the P5. It first detected it right, then with the next
try it picked the Ppro/P-II settings.

The good news is, performance increased by 3% on the PPro. I didn't
notice a performance change on the P5 though.

For those who are curious: Im running a Dual PPro 200 (233MHz oc)
with SMP Linux 2.0.30 and the best results I got with the new client is
595kkeys/s on each CPU.

BTW: does it store the selected CPU type somewhere in the buff-in.rc5
file? I'm running both PPros and the P5 from the same directory, could
this be a problem for autodetection?

Friedemann Baitinger           baiti at herrenberg.netsurf.de