[rc5] Random keyblocks (and Tardy Blocks)

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Aug 25 15:16:57 EDT 1997

In article <71846B925036CF11BD6D00C0D157092916076E at lucifer.TestLab.ORST.EDU>,
Adam Haberlach <HaberlaA at testlab.orst.edu> wrote:
> <rant>
> 	When are people going to stop asking these questions?
> 	Why do people insist that missed keys are valuable?
> 	Why do people think that checking them in order is important
> (except for tracking overhead)?
> </rant>

Speaking for myself, I consider the act of fetching blocks from a
server to constitute an unspoken _promise_ that I would PROPERLY
take care of the blocks I was given -- that is, to do decryption
with the keys in those blocks, then pass the results back.

I am not in a position to have my machine dedicated to rc5.  When,
in the course of other activity, the machine "freezes" such that
my only recourse is to re-boot, I end up "losing" the block that
was currently being worked on.  I emotionally feel that I have
reneged on my _promise_ to properly hand back _all_ blocks that
I was given.  Besides, there is that echo from my upbringing:
"Don't expect others to do the picking-up after you!"

mikus