[rc5] Random keyblocks

Icepick icepick at pclink.com
Mon Aug 25 18:28:20 EDT 1997

At 03:16 PM 8/25/97 -0600, Eric Gindrup wrote:

>        Actually, these questions intentionally are in the order they are
>     in.  At some point, the assertion that a tardy block has no more
>     chance than a *randomly generated* block is false.  That it has no
>     more chance than the next one in the hand-out queue is certainly true.

You are correct, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

>        Eventually, though, the redundancy of rechecking caused by randomly
>     checking blocks eliminates any benefit from randomly generating
>     blocks.

Grant.

>        Your stack comment would make the handing out of tardy blocks even
>     easier.  Tardy blocks could be handed out, oh, I dunno', .01% of the
>     time that a client requests a new block.  Since blocks that have been

Good idea, but not necessary.  Finish the keyspace, then do the tardy blocks.

[snip]

>        But we're not at 1%.  We're at 15.7%, so 1 random block in 6.4 is
>     wasted.  Eventually we'll be at 80%.  Then 4 random blocks in 5 will
>     be wasted.  I'd really rather accelerate the completion of the
>     keyspace search than increase the wasted effort.

I agree, BUT, the whole point of the random block generation is so that
the clients that can't connect to the server can continue to work.  IE
they won't be able to connect to get those tardy blocks.  Random generation
is the only solution that I can see.

no more no less no fear no need no height no depth too great godspeed
Thumb your nose at the man! Help crack RC5!  http://rc5.distributed.net