[rc5] Re: Tardy blocks (was Random keyblocks)

Jeff Lawson jlawson at hmc.edu
Tue Aug 26 05:03:05 EDT 1997

At 03:16 PM 8/25/97 -0600, Eric Gindrup wrote:
>> Would it be equally valuable to "pass out" tardy blocks to be
>> handled by detached clients?
>
>Tardy blocks?  If you mean blocks that have been checked out for
>a long time, then no, not really.  A block that has been checked
>out, but never reported back has no more chance to be "the" block
>than the next one in the hand-out queue.

In fact, "tardy" blocks have *less* probability of containing the solution
key because many of the tardy blocks caused by computers crashing in the
middle of a block.  This means that if they crashed while processing a
block, then a solution had not yet been found in that block (because if it
had, the block would have been stopped there and the solution-notification
written to the buff-out).  And since we have not yet received any legitmate
solution notfications, well.. make your own conclusion.

Even if you assume that only a very small percentage of the "tardy" blocks
became lost because of a mid-block crash, that small percentage still makes
it more probable that a block that hadn't been distributed at all before
will contain the solution key.

Jeff