[rc5] Re: Tardy blocks (was Random keyblocks)

Tue Aug 26 09:22:55 EDT 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:03:05 -0700, Jeff Lawson wrote:

>In fact, "tardy" blocks have *less* probability of containing the solution
>key because many of the tardy blocks caused by computers crashing in the
>middle of a block.  This means that if they crashed while processing a
>block, then a solution had not yet been found in that block (because if it
>had, the block would have been stopped there and the solution-notification
>written to the buff-out).  And since we have not yet received any legitmate
>solution notfications, well.. make your own conclusion.
>
>Even if you assume that only a very small percentage of the "tardy" blocks
>became lost because of a mid-block crash, that small percentage still makes
>it more probable that a block that hadn't been distributed at all before
>will contain the solution key.

Thank you.  I am glad that I am not the only one to see it that way.

I posted a continuation of my famous Indiana Jones analogy on the Team Warped list.  I will repeat it here:

You have unloaded all those thousands of boxes of keys.  You have also hired a few hundred local workers to help you try keys.  Each worker takes a box of keys, tries each key and then returns the box when they finish.  This is all well and good, but then the Nazis stage an air raid.  All your workers dump their baskets of failed keys back into the half empty boxes that they came from and runs for cover.  When the raid is over everyone comes back out to get back to work.  You look around at the boxes of
mixed keys and the boxes of untried keys and plan your strategy.  You can either put the mixed boxes at the front of the pile and start back to work there, knowing that you will be retrying lots of keys that have already failed. Or you can put the mixed boxes at the back of the pile to work on only after you work all the completely untried boxes.  Which plan makes best use of your workers?

(For the first part of my "Indiana Jones Analogy"  see: http://www.ionet.net/~colin/rc5.html)

Skip Huffman
Carreker-Antinori
Atlanta Office
Quality Group
"A penny saved may be a penny earned, but it's a waste of
 a deposit slip and it really pisses off the tellers."