[rc5] client exit values?

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Wed Aug 27 00:10:09 EDT 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Bryan Talbot wrote:

> It seems that the clients exit values are always zero which usually
> denotes success.  This sure does make it a pain to script when I want to
> retry a -fetch that failed to connect because of some network error.
> The client complains that it can't connect and then exits with the same
> status code as when it was completely successful.

Yup.  It seems the Bovine developers overlooked that little detail.  If
you want to check the success of a flush, you must examine the file size
of buff-out.rc5 (test -s); if it's over 8 bytes, there's still something
unflushed.  The same goes for a fetch -- if it's 8 bytes or less, you
don't have a block yet.

-------                   wooledge at kellnet.com                     -------
---              http://kellnet.com/wooledge/main.html                 ---