[rc5] Network errors, where do they come from

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Wed Aug 27 11:55:25 EDT 1997

Hello,

We've seen several posts about:
I get a network error, but http works fine.

Of course http will have lost packets, stalls, etc, too, but could
someone from Bovine explain why timeouts are important in rc5clients
and on what basis these timeouts are calculated, e.g. is it the time
between the sending of a message to the proxy and the reply from the
proxy? These can surely be seconds, especially when you have a
relatively slow modem, or when your computer has to dial out first.

When I do http, I sometimes have stalls of 10 seconds, and then
Netscape goes happily on. Why can't rc5 do this?

Ivo