[rc5] key block

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Wed Aug 27 12:03:40 EDT 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Costin RAIU wrote:

> > i bet the correct key will be found in the last place we look.
>
> Let's hope not ! Anyway, one could expect the key to show up when  86%
> of keyspace is complete :)
> (14% for the DES, so 50-14=36 50+36=86
> so 86 is required to restore the probabilistic balance)

Well, actually there is a 50% change that we will find the key when
86% is complete. Either we find it there or we don't.

But then again: There's also a 50% change that we could have found it
in the first 15% percent of the space. Again: either we find it or we
don't.

So: 50% for 86% complete and 50% for 15% complete. That makes a total
of 100%. And we know we didn't find it in the first 15 percent, so now
we know for sure that we will find the key when we've done 86%.

I suggest that Bovine distributes key "DC28F5:C28F15C0" and we have

Ivo