[rc5] Re: MacOS issues in rc5-digest V1 #101

andrew meggs insect at antennahead.com
Thu Aug 28 15:01:21 EDT 1997

>>What you can do is open the Network Settings dialog box, and put a zero in
>>the in the blank where it says "Switch to offline mode after: ____
>>consecutive network failures." Then they'll spend all eternity retrying on
>>your dead network connection (with an accompanying decrease in performance)
>>until the connection finally goes back online.
>
>Will it do *any* random blocks until the connection comes back up, if you
>set it to 0?

Yes, it will. The decision to do a random block is a very simple test of
"If I need a new key block and buff-in is empty at this particular instant,
then make a random block." The MacOS network code is running in a
completely separate thread of execution, attempting to refill the buffer
before it runs out. Going offline disables that thread but the normal key
cruncher keeps on going.

>	I'm running Mac 2004 with FreePPP on  a PowerPC, System 7.5.5, 8Mb RAM.
>Occasionally, the client crashes when flushing - it goes something like
>this.
>
>1: Client completes clocks - tries to flush
>2: Client calls FreePPP
>3: FreePPP dials, and connects
>4: Client gets proxy,says it is flushing
>5: nothing happens - the client stops cracking, no menu options work, can't
>swap to Finder, but the mouse still moves and the PPP connection is still
>open.

The computer isn't actually hung, just stalled attempting to connect to
connect to an unreachable proxy. If you go eat a sandwich or something,
you'll come back to discover that it's finally given up.

This is fixed in 2.005, which is basically done, but I've been too busy
with "real work" to put it together.

>Divide the keyspace into x area's, e.g. 16 (note, it better be more)
>- - Every time the client reports blocks, the server also gives the area in
>which the least blocks are solved.
>- - When the client can't fetch blocks it generates blocks within the space
>it got last reported as being least solved.

A better idea -- build a bit of knowledge into the clients about the order
of keys. When a random block is needed, look at the "highest" block
checked, and pick a random block between that one and the "last" block in
the keyspace, rather picking from the netire keyspace.

>He's using a Power Computing MacOS (which I'm sure doesn't matter at
>all), and, more importantly, connects to the internet (from home) with
>OT/PPP and a scripted telnet session (available through OT/PPP). He's
>using MacOS 8.0.

I don't know; I've never been able to get ANYTHING to work over a scripted
telnet session.

>Just to share...
>I was configuring v2.004 for my mac at work, and was having a similar
>problem. This is gonna seem like kinda a silly question I realize, but is
>he runing Thread Manager?

The thread manager is built into system 7.5 and higher, so if he's running
MacOS 8 then he's got it.