[rc5] Mac Can't connect

Bruce Fisher bef at ssnet.com
Fri Aug 29 10:18:40 EDT 1997

>>I doubt it's actually telnetting. More specifically, in OT/PPP, you use
>>custom-written modem scripts called CCLs.
>
>As it happens, CCL is the language (Communication Control Language, I
>think) - the scripts are called modem scripts.

They ARE referred to as CCL's. No big deal though!

>>They go in the Modem Scripts
>>folder in the extensions (or prefs folder - I forget).
>
>Extensions folder.

Correct.

>> Hayes, or whoever
>>his modem brand is has(at their web sites these days) scripts they
>>recommend using with their particular modem. For whatever reason(I've not
>>the foggiest) a different/better script may be needed.
>
>OT/PPP comes with a large collection of modem scripts anyway, but I doubt
>that the modem script is the problem.

I do too. But it's worth checking out though. If he is using the wrong
script, it can cause strange connection problems.

>> There is also
>>something called Modem Script Generator 1.0a1 (in the usual locations on
>>the net)
>
>I've only ever come across this at Apple - in the unsupported software
>section of its ftp site (http://www.apple.com and dig around).

That is indeed a usual location. Go to
http://support.info.apple.com/ftp/swhome.html  Then you'll have to navigate
to Apple Software and Updates/Macintosh/Unsupported. Then look for Modem
Script Generator.

>>>Er,  I'm not sure this is a good idea.  FreePPP 2.5v3 is available, as is
>>>FreePPP 2.6b7 (which I'm using now).  I find 2.6b7 okay on my Performa 475
>>>running B1-7.6.1 and OT 1.1.2.
>>>

>>Fine. Version 2.5v2b9 is the one I've found works with me. I'm sure 2.5v3
>>is fine also
>
><cackle>  Not on my Performa 475 it wasn't.

<Cackle?> - that's just it. Different versions of FreePPP work
differentially well on different systems, and some folks have better
luck/skills than others at getting beta software to work! - why nit-pick
this to death?