[rc5] Dual processors under NT

Bryan Talbot btalbot at qualcomm.com
Fri Aug 29 11:57:05 EDT 1997

Friedemann Baitinger wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Bryan Talbot wrote:
>
> > This is an ugly problem that should be very easy to solve in the
> > software.  A single call to GetSystemInfo returns the number and
> types
> > of all processors in the system and is supported by Win95 and WinNT.
>
> > The client should then spawn 1 thread (or process) per cpu found.
> > Simple.
>
> Wait a second, are you saying that even Win95 would use both
> processors
> if I'd just start the commandline client twice? That sounds too simple
>
> to be true but I'll try it and report what happens.

No, Win95 will not use both processors ... it doesn't support SMP.  What
I am saying is that using this win32 call will not "break" the win95
client and force the clients into two separate code bases, one for NT
and another for 95.  GetSystemInfo under Win95 should always only report
1 CPU even if more are in the machine, Win95 just won't ever see them.

ATTENTION: Despite any other listing of message contents found
herein, the reader is advised that, in actuality, this message
consists of 99.9999999999% empty space.