[rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #103

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Sat Aug 30 01:54:17 EDT 1997

> Also, the platform mix was decidedly different. As it happened, deschall
> had a large number of sparcs and massive support from Sun. Meanwhile, the
> MacOS client is the fastest at RC5, and if we had working os/cpu stats
> distributed.net we'd probably see that distributed.net has a huge number
of
> Macs and massive support from Apple -- the different platform
distributions
> are probably NOT a coincidence, and mine's still bigger.
>
> Bottom line: DESChall clients at 12916 distinct IP's checked 0.776% of
the
> keyspace in the final 24 hours. A completely unknown number of RC5
clients
> checked 0.40% of the keyspace yesterday.

> Andrew Meggs, content provider                  Antennahead Industries,
Inc.

It would be interesting to see what would happen once distributed.net
starts running multiple contests.  It would be interesting to see different
companies sponsoring different contests in different ways.  Actually, the
biggest contribution would come from software companies, as they would be
most likely to get the word out.  (Of course, this is assuming that the
contest is more interesting than decryption.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com