[rc5] HP First time user

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Sat Aug 30 13:54:11 EDT 1997

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Ed Werzyn wrote:

> The REAL reason why I'm contacting the group is I'm having to problems
> running the software.  I'm using an Hewlett Packard J282 dual cpu system.
> I downloaded the rc5v2.pa7k software from the build 4 area.  It starts
> ok, but seems to have a problem contacting distributed.net to get the
> blocks.  I keep getting the message...
> Network::Open Error 1 - sleeping for 3 seconds.
> Network::Open Error 2 - sleeping for 3 seconds.
>
> I understand that the program communicates with distributed.net via
> telnet, so that shouldn't be a problem (we're behind a firewall).
> Any other HP users out there??

The program _can_ work via telnet, but it defaults to communicate via
port 2056. In the config you can do "8. Network comm mode" and set it
to "mode 2. I can communicate freely on the telnet ports."
Then the firewall will let you through (if the firewall accepts
telnet-ports, which I think/hope it does. If not, you could always
try the HTTP port (mode 4)..)

Succes, Ivo