[rc5] Cyberian RC5 Effort - 'Anti - Microsoft!'

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Sat Aug 30 14:12:43 EDT 1997

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Alex wrote:

> Just saw this on the freebsd-hackers list.  Gee whoever called the
> founders of the Cyberian effort "a bunch of nice guys" sure musta been
> smoking something funny.

Well, that's bullshit.

> - Cyberian has WORKING stats.. updated every 5 minutes.  (bovine just
> now got the stats working, but they are very limited and updated only
> daily)
They do have a point! We are still waiting for host stats.

> - The Bovine team is COMPLETELY unresponsive to offers of help.
> People on the Bovine mailing list are constantly asking for new
> features, and someone always offers to do it.  But the Bovine team
> wants to keep all the credit to themselves when the key is found, so
> they don't let anyone help out, and they CONSTANTLY come up with
> excuses and delays.
Hmm, it seems that rc5help at slacker.com and #rc5 on EFnet are more of
a help. But I would like to see the "Powers that Be" some more on
this list.

> - There is no statistical advantage to using Bovine over Cyberian at
> this time.  Bovine checked the first 6% sequentially.  So Cyberian
> didn't have to check that space, therefore they've technically
> eliminated 8% of the keyspace.  This means that roughly one key in 10
> that Cyberian checks has already been checked by Bovine.  Since the
> Cyberian client is more than 10% faster on most systems, you're only
> wasting your time with Bovine.
Of course there's no statistically advantage. Every next key can be
the one. Every key has a 2^-56 change.

> - Cyberian has its act together in all aspects of the effort.  Most of
> the early Bovine enthusiasts have long since switched over.  Cyberian
> is more fun, more focused on the real goal of disproving the strength
> of 56bit encryption, and more in tune to the needs of a REAL dynamic
> distributed computing effort.
Cyberian is more focused on the real effort? Why is Bovine offering
less money then?

> - Bovine uses Windows NT servers, Cyberian uses Unix ;)
1-0 for Cyberian!

All together they still have 2 good points to switch over:
- better stats and
- more response from the dev team

If Bovine could fix these two, then we're the better effort once
again!

Ivo