[rc5] script

Brian Foddy bkfoddy at skypoint.com
Sat Aug 30 13:22:48 EDT 1997

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 10:12:53 -0400 (EDT), tired wrote:

>I have an account on a dual processor (although apparently one
>processor is not behaving properly - so perhaps one processor is a
>more apt title) Digital machine that I got permission to use at certain
>hours (like when people aren't on it and when backup scripts aren't
>running).
>
>So I want to run a script that looks at the time - when it reaches a
>specific time, starts the rc5 client, then at the next specified time,
>shuts the client down.  I don't neccessarily need to ever log off
>this machine - so it isn't a matter of getting i to run all of the time-
>it can be activated by me while I'm logged on....
>
>And I'm pretty sure I have no access to cron et al

Well this task is made for cron, double check you don't have
access BEFORE trying anything else.  If you do have cron,
set the rc5.ini prefs to expire in say 15hours, then launch
the program at the beginning of your time period.  I do it
on one of my machines and it works great.

If you don't have cron...  The script would be "simple" but
not "trivial".  Easiest would probably be to use a sleep
command to control your timing.
Brian Foddy
bkfoddy at skypoint.com
Eagan, MN  USA