[rc5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #104

jpearl at qsi.com jpearl at qsi.com
Sat Aug 30 20:15:03 EDT 1997

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 22:55:02 -0700
From: Jeff Lawson <jlawson at hmc.edu>
Subject: [rc5] Re: Block fetch/submit limitations
>>Soem of you have mentioned an error that looks like this ->> The proxy
>>says: "And Now For something completely different
>>
>(alpaca.llamas.net)"<<<<<<Networ
>>k::Error> Read failed 6/0
>>>
>>Gotta' tell you guys but I think it's a BUG in the client! I buffer many
>>keys to two machines here and every couple of days I put the completed
>keys
>>through my PerProxy to the main servers via a command line 2.004 client
>>(WIN95). Sure enough I get this same error - every single time after the
>>exact same number of keys. (I've never counted how many keys so if
someone
>>"needs to know) drop me a line direct and I'll count the twiddles for
ya')
>The unix personal proxies have a block count per-connection limit of 50.
>The win32 gui personal proxy and the full proxies do not have a block
count
>per-connection limit, but instead have a maximum connection-duration limit
>of 2 minutes.  You should perhaps consider trying to not buffer so many
>blocks, or perhaps flush more frequently.  These connection limits may be
>raised in the future if others indicate that this is indeed a critical
>problem for them.

Thank you Jeff for what sounds like a PERFECT explanation! I hadn't
considered that it might be a timeout but in my case that's probably
exactly what it is. I buffer to floppy on one machine and about once every
other day or so must empty the buffer. I run it straight from floppy all of
the time on that machine and it's quite possible that 200 blcoks are taking
that long to empty.

As for changing the time limit (shrug) I can live with it. I do have to ask
though - when the DOS client is ready is it possible that it might run
faster than the WIN95 client? I could make that disk bootable.... (grin)

Thanks again for your response - my apologies for ASSuming it was some form
of bug at work!