[rc5] key block

Costin RAIU craiu at usa.net
Sat Aug 30 23:59:13 EDT 1997

Rocket Socks wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Costin RAIU wrote:
> > Ricki Lee King wrote:
> > >
> > > i bet the correct key will be found in the last place we look.
> > > ;)
> > >

> > Let's hope not ! Anyway, one could expect the key to show up when  86%
> > of keyspace is complete :)
>
> Actually, I would hope that it would be the last space we check - why
> bother to keep checking if we found it... therefore making it the last....

Hey, that might be a fortunate result. (finding the key when %99.999
complete)
Maybe some old, dusty computer processed the block containing the right
key
and failed to decrypt the message due to excessive heat or used
components ?  (IMPROBABLE :)
Or, imagine Cyberian finding the key before Bovine... (VERY IMPROBABLE
:)
Or worse, imagine Infinite Monkeys finding it before Cyberian AND Bovine
!!! (HIGHLY IMPROBABLE :)
Anyway, let's keep checking with Bovine.
PS: I suppose that when %90 of the keyspace will be completed, and no
key
found, we should start checking the keyspace again, without checking
the %10 left. That's because it's unlikely to find the key after
checking
90% of the 2**56 keys.
--

bye,
c0s

Costin RAIU, Data Security Expert

E-MAIL  : BUSINESS mailto:craiu at gecad.ro, PERSONAL craiu at usa.net
WWW     : http://www.gecad.ro/~craiu/
PGP Key : http://www.gecad.ro/~craiu/craiu.asc (or from WWW.PGP.COM)
KeyID   : 2048/DD35A295 Costin RAIU <craiu at gecad.ro>
Key fingerprint = FD 14 2A 90 64 41 58 9A  6B 34 47 D8 C5 E2 F4 5C