[rc5] Cyberian Discussion

Ivo Janssen ivo at ricardis.tudelft.nl
Fri Aug 1 13:58:16 EDT 1997

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Dirk Moerenhout wrote:

> There's almost every day a new client for some machine. The main reason
> their clients do go faster is because they're willing to share knowledge.
> I quit Bovine because of poor SPARC-speed. Now I work at improving the
> SPARC-performance on Cyberian. They keep an open mind to new people
> helping. I haven't seen a Sparclinux client on Bovine for a while.
> Cyberian has now, I proposed to port it and my changes were added to the
> source-distribution. Their way of getting the code done does pay off. If
> people like Rémi Guyomarch would join up with Cyberian, he could get his
> code in releases. At the Bovine sides it seems like it takes weeks to get
> great code in the release-clients.

I think Bovine needs more people in the core team. What about two or
three people going for the webpages and stats. Then the other core
members van focus on the development. I'm sure there are a lot of
volunteers out there willing to do so.

And then the sources. The only reason I can think of is that Bovine
is afraid of spamming. Well. v1 is public, as I understand. Then
what's the use of keeping v2 private?
I think the open structure of cyberian only does good for the effort.
For example, the v2.003 is already more than a week behind on
schedule. And the excuse: We are only volunteers doesn't count. They
can get as many volunteers as they want, thus reducing the load on
their shoulders.

Fact is that the Bovine team needs more dev-people, either by getting
more people in the core team, or by releasing the sources.

Ivo

P.S. And yes, I keep this thread going, in spite of what Dave McNett
said, because it's good for the competition and improvement of the
efforts, including ours!