[rc5] Pentium vs. Pentium Pro (renamed)

root marcus at dfwmm.net
Thu Jul 3 15:01:22 EDT 1997

Albert Garrido wrote:

> Speaking from experience, there's a few possible snags here.
> K6's don't work on all Pentium Motherboards.  It's also very difficult to figure

Agreed.

> I'm still skittish on the new M2's and the K6 support issue.  I know that AMD

So am I, although I have had nothing but success so far. At home I run
an
Asus P55T2P4 with a Cyrix 6x86 PR166+ and am nothing but pleased. At a
mere
133/66 the board is not being stressed and when I run anything including
w95,
os2, FreeBSD, or linux, it is as stable and reliable as a flat rock.

> $833 for a 233Mhz P-II,
> $1240 for a 266Mhz P-II
>
> Pentium Pro-200 w/ 512k cache=$1190

I think that we agree on the price/perf ratio as well. I had not thought
about the weight of the cartridge that holds the PII cpu. Do you really
think that it is going to be a concern? I have not seen any of these
machines so I don't know if this would apply to vertical/tower MBs or
the horizontal/desktop style. Is the cartridge mounted parallel to the
MB or perpendicular?

I did experiment with oc'ing for a while and although everything went
well
at 2x75 and with some mods to the ide setup so did 2x83, one of the
voltage regulators on the MB was getting way too hot for _my_ comfort.
So
I turned it back down. It's not like I am using _all_ of the cpu at 133
anyway. The system is fast enough for me as is.