[rc5] Mac RC5 client quit unexpectedly

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Fri Jul 4 09:33:44 EDT 1997

>Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 07:46:38 -0400
>From: Marc Farnum Rendino <mvgfr at netcom.com>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] Mac RC5 client quit unexpectedly
>
>At 10:18 PM -0400 on 97/07/01, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
>
>> Anubis driver on both HDs
>
>How recent is the driver? I've seen _lots_ of crashes because the driver
>wasn't compatible with a newer OS.

I'm using the driver that was released for use with System 7.6 - v2.55

>> GV 33.6 modem
>
>GV makes good stuff, but there are so many extensions!

None of which are in use.

>> System B7.6.1
>
>Haven't heard of this one - what's the "B"?

British.

>> Using FreePPP 2.5v3
>
>I recently tried Apple's OT/PPP - and haven't gone back. Unless FreePPP
>offers you something OT/PPP doesn't, I'd give it a try.

FreePPP lets me use my init string and a 115,200bps serial speed.  It's
also much more convenient to connect with FreePPP (PPP Menu doesn't work
properly on my Mac).

>> Using rc5-client-68k v1 - the v2 client is not yet available for Macs.
>> There was no version number in the info panel.
>
>Right, but I believe there were a few V1 releases. The current is dated
>97/05/05.

The version I have was created on 25th April 1997, modified on 28th June 1997.

>> Non System 7.6.1 extensions and control panels:

>but it might be useful to try it w/o them.

If I could process a block in under 12 hours, I might well do, but alas!
That's the minimum number of extensions that make the machine
useable/bearable, and none of the ones that are on have caused any problems
that I've noticed.  The only famously problematic one (RAM Doubler) hasn't
been turned on while I've been rc5 cracking.  btw, email me and let me know
which extensions/control panels you don't know about - you might be missing
out on something really useful.

>> used a different command line:
>>
>> -h 1 -e -s rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
>>
>> rather than the original
>>
>> -c 1 -e -s rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
>
>Hmm... I don't recognize (and can't find in the docs) some of those
>parameters: what are '-e' and '-s'?

Both in the readme file:

-e is quit when done
-s is turn on progress bar

>Also, I'd recommend using "-a rc5proxy.distributed.net" to get to the new
>distributed proxy server.

Okay - I didn't know that.  Not in the readme, you see.

>> it took 12 hours to go from launch to crash.
>
>Ouch! I do wish there were a smaller block size. I'm running the client on
>some SE/30's and it takes something like 30 hours. :)

Ouch!  I though 12 hours was bad enough.  I'd've thought the FPU would have
helped a bit more, though.

>> The link was not up at the time of the crash.
>
>Aha! :) It's been my experience that setting the link to auto-connect on
>traffic (which may well have been what was happening at the time of the
>crash) is (IMO) a recipe for disaster.

I have FreePPP *set* to disallow auto-connect.  It's always caused
problems.  However, being set to disallow auto-connect doesn't always
prevent a connection attempt for reason that I've not figured out.

> I have seen what appears to be an
>improvement in this area with OT/PPP, but I still avoid it most of the time.
>
>> I use Eudora 3.1 light, MacSoup 2.2, Spyglass Mosaic...
>> I occasionally suffer dropped lines which
>> the modem reports as `lost carrier'...
>
>All sounds normal there.

Yep.  The last block finished checking, and FreePPP attempted to connect
again (failed because the modem was unplugged from the phone line).  This
time, cancelling the connection request, plugging the modem into the phone
line, and connecting FreePPP made things work normally.  However, it was
only a couple of minutes from the failed connection attempt to the
successful connection.

Thanks Marc.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Rowland.