[rc5] Mac RC5 client quit unexpectedly

Marc Farnum Rendino mvgfr at netcom.com
Fri Jul 4 09:21:19 EDT 1997

At 3:33 AM -0400 on 97/07/04, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

> >I recently tried Apple's OT/PPP - and haven't gone back. Unless FreePPP
> >offers you something OT/PPP doesn't, I'd give it a try.
>
> FreePPP lets me use my init string and a 115,200bps serial speed.  It's
> also much more convenient to connect with FreePPP (PPP Menu doesn't work
> properly on my Mac).

No show-stoppers - I'd give OT/PPP a try.

> The version I have was created on 25th April 1997, modified on 28th June
>1997.

Interesting! Before I replied, I checked back at the Bovine RC5 site and
confirmed the date by downloading it again. Where'd you get the later mod?

> That's the minimum number of extensions that make the machine
> useable/bearable

For the purpose of testing it'd be useful to do a run w/ minimal
extensions. Minimal that is, from the RC5 client's view, not yours. :)

> -e is quit when done
> -s is turn on progress bar

Hmm... The progress bar is "-b" in my ReadMe and "-e" is absent - perhaps
another difference in our versions.

> >-a rc5proxy.distributed.net
>
> Okay - I didn't know that.  Not in the readme, you see.

Right, I think I picked it up on the RC5 list or maybe the Bovine site.

> I have FreePPP *set* to disallow auto-connect.  It's always caused
> problems.  However, being set to disallow auto-connect doesn't always
> prevent a connection attempt for reason that I've not figured out.

FWIW, I've not had that problem w/ OT/PPP.

Personally, w/ OT being so new and different - especially where things like
PPP are concerned - I'm a bit more comfortable w/ a PPP implementation from
the folks who wrote OT.

- Marc