[rc5] Re: Faster clients

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Fri Jul 4 16:08:37 EDT 1997

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Michael J. Rogan wrote:
> >This group really needs to invest in faster clients.
> > The only reason the Deschall group was able to stay ahead
> > of the 'foreign' competitors was due to highly optimized
> Deschall was able to draw on a very large group of programmers each
> contributing continuous improvements this can't be done without
> source.

The DESCHALL source code was never made publicly available, but you're
right, they did have a fair number of programmers working on the project.
How many do we have working on Bovine?  Do they have a lack of qualified
programmers--or trusted ones?  If they do only have two or three people
working on the code, I would remind them that the advantage of a
distributed computing network is that the workload is *shared*, allowing
the network to accomplish its goals faster than any one computer--or
user--could alone...

                                -Steve Langasek
-doink-