[rc5] New competitor

Guan Sin Ong cceonggs at segamat.nus.edu.sg
Sat Jul 5 16:16:25 EDT 1997

Stephen Langasek wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, DevilBunny wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Stephen Langasek wrote:
>
> > > Oh, now, really.  How is THAT an advantage on YOUR end?  Don't tell me
> > > there are Europeans who are afraid the US government is going to try to
> > > chase them down for downloading the rc5 client..?
> > how about preventing you from getting any money?
>
> Well if RSA wants to pay someone in Europe $1000 for receiving illegal and
> possibly deadly munitions :D, then the way I see it, that's between RSA
> and the US government.  Even a government as altruistic <cough> as ours
> would be hard-pressed to find justification for stopping a wire of $1000
> to a European bank account...
       ^^^^^^^^
Please, make it "non-US", instead of just "European". Out of US, there
are many non-European participants in this effort, all equally
frustrated by ITAR. Take note that people from SG, HK, MY and JP have
and is contributing substantially in this effort.

Now a question to people working hard at Bovine. By making the client
software available for download by non-US users, are you not stepping
into the grey area of ITAR, i.e. exporting crypto software illegally?
("Oops! Trouble ahead...")

GS
--
" Crack RC5 and smash US export control - http://rc5.distributed.net/ "