[rc5] New competitor

Stephen Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Sat Jul 5 04:00:20 EDT 1997

On Sat, 5 Jul 1997, Guan Sin Ong wrote:
> Please, make it "non-US", instead of just "European". Out of US, there
> are many non-European participants in this effort, all equally
> frustrated by ITAR. Take note that people from SG, HK, MY and JP have
> and is contributing substantially in this effort.
My apologies.  No slight was intended; I had referenced Europe only
because the previous message had originated with a European.  You are, of
course, quite right: the threat of a US embargo applies equally to all
nations, regardless of continent.

<grin>

> Now a question to people working hard at Bovine. By making the client
> software available for download by non-US users, are you not stepping
> into the grey area of ITAR, i.e. exporting crypto software illegally?
Ah, but all life is a grey area, if lived right.  ("We are grey.")

> ("Oops! Trouble ahead...")
Well, if Bovine decides to take precautionary measures, I hereby volunteer
for the duty of Designated Munitions Trafficker.  Best of luck to them if
they try to chase down all of my US-based access points. :)

                            -Steve Langasek
-doink-