[rc5] Mac RC5 client quit unexpectedly

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Sat Jul 5 13:19:02 EDT 1997

>Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 18:28:15 -0600
>From: Jason Novinger <novinger at falcon.cc.ukans.edu>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] Mac RC5 client quit unexpectedly
>
>> Interesting! Before I replied, I checked back at the Bovine RC5 site and
>> confirmed the date by downloading it again. Where'd you get the later mod?
>>
>> > That's the minimum number of extensions that make the machine
>> > useable/bearable
>>
>Did you get the mod. date from the Get Info box?

Yes I did - where else could I have got it from?

> Good chance that it was
>changed by the sytem.

Could be

>> > I have FreePPP *set* to disallow auto-connect.  It's always caused
>> > problems.  However, being set to disallow auto-connect doesn't always
>> > prevent a connection attempt for reason that I've not figured out.
>>
>> FWIW, I've not had that problem w/ OT/PPP.

I get more random hang-ups with OT/PPP, I don't like the user interface,
and it'll only let me use a 56,700bps serial port speed which is a bit of a
pain when I'm downloading news etc.  I might try FreePPP 2.6 beta soon -
it's supposed to be much better.

>> Personally, w/ OT being so new and different - especially where things like
>> PPP are concerned - I'm a bit more comfortable w/ a PPP implementation from
>> the folks who wrote OT.

I'm not completely sure that it is all that different from the point of
view of PPP; but the FreePPP people helped the OT people with their PPP
implementation.  Remember that OT/PPP's not been out that long.

>> - Marc
>>
>I have't had any problems either.  Been churning out a block every 18.17
>minutes and using DOD with OT.  Works great.

Uhuh - that'll be a PowerMac, won't it?  I've got a 68LC040 processor.

Rowland.