[rc5] New competitor

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Sat Jul 5 13:07:09 EDT 1997

>Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 15:16:25 +0800
>From: "Guan Sin Ong" <cceonggs at segamat.nus.edu.sg>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] New competitor
>
>Stephen Langasek wrote:

>> > how about preventing you from getting any money?
>>
>> Well if RSA wants to pay someone in Europe $1000 for receiving illegal and
>> possibly deadly munitions :D, then the way I see it, that's between RSA
>> and the US government.  Even a government as altruistic <cough> as ours
>> would be hard-pressed to find justification for stopping a wire of $1000
>> to a European bank account...
>       ^^^^^^^^
>Please, make it "non-US", instead of just "European". Out of US, there
>are many non-European participants in this effort, all equally
>frustrated by ITAR. Take note that people from SG, HK, MY and JP have
>and is contributing substantially in this effort.

Hang on a bit - you ought to be a bit gentle here.  These poor Americans
have only just got used to the idea of the existance of Europe, and some
sort of civilisation outside their own borders.  Now your asking them to
comprehend the existance of strange places where people don't even write in
recognisable letters, and accept that these places have intelligent people,
internet connections, and computers.

Don't you think the shock might be a bit much for some of them?  You'll be
expecting geography lessons in US schools next.  I don't know...

Rowland.

P.S.  This is supposed to be an inoffensive, light-hearted bit of sarcasm.
To avoid cluttering up the mailing list, please email me direct if you
really need to say something more on this subject.