[rc5] Mac RC5 client quit unexpectedly

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Sat Jul 5 13:54:05 EDT 1997

>Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 08:21:19 -0400
>From: Marc Farnum Rendino <mvgfr at netcom.com>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] Mac RC5 client quit unexpectedly
>
>At 3:33 AM -0400 on 97/07/04, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:
>
>> >I recently tried Apple's OT/PPP - and haven't gone back. Unless FreePPP
>> >offers you something OT/PPP doesn't, I'd give it a try.
>>
>> FreePPP lets me use my init string and a 115,200bps serial speed.  It's
>> also much more convenient to connect with FreePPP (PPP Menu doesn't work
>> properly on my Mac).
>
>No show-stoppers - I'd give OT/PPP a try.

I did try it when I got System B1-7.6, but I got more random hang-ups and
the user interface was horrible, so I went back to FreePPP.

>> The version I have was created on 25th April 1997, modified on 28th June
>>1997.
>
>Interesting! Before I replied, I checked back at the Bovine RC5 site and
>confirmed the date by downloading it again. Where'd you get the later mod?

The Bovine RC5 site at http://rc5.distributed.net/

I've just downloaded the 68K and Fat clients again.  The 68K client was
created on 25th April 1997, modified on 22 June.  The Fat client was
created on 30th April, modified on 22 June.  I've just tried the 58K
client, which tested at 6408 key/sec, which is a little faster than the
6200 key/sec I've had previously.

I ran a file comparison on the two 68K versions, and found lots of
differences at the end of the file - from byte BEC5 in the resource fork
onward.

>> That's the minimum number of extensions that make the machine
>> useable/bearable
>
>For the purpose of testing it'd be useful to do a run w/ minimal
>extensions. Minimal that is, from the RC5 client's view, not yours. :)

Hmm - it's just a bit awkward right now, because our Mac's actually being
used quite heavily.  Maybe when Rebecca's thesis is done and we can leave
it on its own for 12 hours...

>> -e is quit when done
>> -s is turn on progress bar
>
>Hmm... The progress bar is "-b" in my ReadMe and "-e" is absent - perhaps
>another difference in our versions.

I'm running the 68K version.  Is that what you're running too?  I've
confirmed the switches above in the readme for the 68K version, and both
readmes that came with the fat version.  All the readmes I have agree - the
one that I got originally, and the ones that came with the versions I
downloaded today.

[snip]

>> I have FreePPP *set* to disallow auto-connect.  It's always caused
>> problems.  However, being set to disallow auto-connect doesn't always
>> prevent a connection attempt for reason that I've not figured out.
>
>FWIW, I've not had that problem w/ OT/PPP.
>
>Personally, w/ OT being so new and different - especially where things like
>PPP are concerned - I'm a bit more comfortable w/ a PPP implementation from
>the folks who wrote OT.

Given that the FreePPP helped the OT/PPP people out with their version of
PPP, and that FreePPP has been around a lot longer than OT/PPP, I'm
inclined to stick with FreePPP, especially as it works better on my Mac.

Rowland.