[rc5] Another approach

Jeremy D. Zawodny jzawodn at wcnet.org
Sun Jul 6 14:44:02 EDT 1997

At 01:10 AM 7/6/97 -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:

>I'm not sure it's worth going *that* far to recruit people - it's probably
>not the best idea to have people who aren't in for the long run because
>that would raise the possibility of rc5 trojans / etc being created...

I agree with you but for different reasons.  I think that there is little
point in recruiting a million new users so that they can each check a few
blocks, get bored with it, and stop.

Those people are also unlikely to care about cracking the client/server
protocol in an effort to foul our effort.

>advertising is important however - in the right spots.  I saw about the
>Bovine effort when it was mentioned on www.planetquake.com in the middle of
>quake news.  Advertising on Tom's Hardware guide and the system
>optimization page are probably two of the best ideas, actually - the people
>who are there are *probably* pretty computer literate and would run the
>client.  Hmph... anybody up to the job of contacting those two?

Right.  Publicity and good advertisement are the way to go.  I ran several
Deschall clients after I found out about it.  How'd I notice it?  Someone
had put a line in his signature that linked to it.  Something like:

  <A HREF="http://rc5.distributed.net/">Crack RC5!</A>

Caught my eye, so I followed the link.

Lots of small references in many different places seems to wide the exposure.

Jeremy
---
Jeremy D. Zawodny
WCNet Technical Geek & Web Stuff
<URL:http://www.wcnet.org/~jzawodn/>

"It's amazing the clarity that comes with psychotic jealousy."
-- George in "My Best Friend's Wedding"