[rc5] Optimized version of genx (v1) sources

Michael Graff explorer at flame.org
Mon Jul 7 00:52:37 EDT 1997

Remi Guyomarch <rguyom at mail.dotcom.fr> writes:

> Since RC5 admins won't cut support for V1 clients in the proxy, I've put
> on the web my intel ASM optimizations of the client, based on genx
> sources.

For those of you who don't know, I've taken the source and added some
speedups of my own.

For instance, I managed to get a powerpc up from 143k keys/sec with
the old source up to 309k keys/sec with three simple changes (two in
C source, one teaching gcc what rotate does.)

> -DX4/100 under Linux 2.0.30 (X, Netscape, Xemacs and a few xterm loaded
> but all iddle) :
> 	official RC5 client : 64200 keys/s
> 	my client           : 87300 keys/s

On my NetBSD-based 486dx2/66 I get 65k, so I think we're still in line
here.

If anyone within the united states wants to help work on clients
and such, I would gladly share source.  I will also send the source
to Canada, but I'm a little iffy on sending it out of the united
states right now.  Binaries I might be convinced to release however.

--Michael

P.S.  I'm running a team where the money will go to The NetBSD Foundation.
If you are interested in joining that team, use
	netbsd-rc5 at flame.org
as the email address.  If you do join, that is also a mailing list.
Send mail to netbsd-rc5-request at flame.org with "subscribe" in the
body to subscribe.  I periodically announce new clients on there.

--Michael