[rc5] R Deal on hardware and upgrades

Dan Johnson bigdan at netcom.com
Sun Jul 6 23:45:07 EDT 1997

At 11:21 PM 7/6/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey guys.  Just thought I could help the effort in some ways other than
>thru raw processing  power.  I'm  currently offering you guys(anyone who
>runs rc5) a deal.  Go to http://www.pinc.bc.ca/rc5 and you'll see.

ERROR 404  =(

>Some of the things that we're offering are:
>
>Cyrix 6x86 200/L upgrade for $149 Cnd
>8mb ram upgrade (EDO) $79 Cnd.
>
>This is just a taste of soem of our prices.

This is the WRONG list to post advertisements for hardware.
and another thing- adding memory will not speed up the client.

>We'll also build you a screaming machine for damn cheap prices.  Al the
>information is on the page.
>
>(BTW, upgrade means that either we do it, or you do it.  Take your pick.)
>
>I hope this helps you guys out, since it's basically turned into a rat
>race of who has the fastest machine :)

Not quite... No one machine is more important that the other.
To quote from the Bovine web page:

" It is important to note that this is not about one team versus another,
or about who actually cracks the
 key. This is an effort to demonstrate to the U.S. government that 56-bit
encryption is not sufficient as an
 international encryption mechanism. If a collection of amateur Internet
enthusiasts can break the encryption (and we will), then limitless
government budgets can certainly do the same in less time."