[rc5] Mac v2 client confusion

Corin Anderson corin at cs.washington.edu
Tue Jul 8 09:29:36 EDT 1997

On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

> What's all this business about buffering and flushing blocks, and how do
> you do it?

My gut feeling on the Mac client is that it takes care of the block
buffering for you.  You get to tell the client how many blocks you want to
buffer, and it takes care of the rest.  I don't think that there's any way
to run a second client with the equivalent of a -update flag.  I also
don't think that there's any _need_ to do so, either.

> Can I quit the client half-way through a run and not lose any work?

It appears so.  I quit the client, and it looks like it saved the
partially completed block to disk.

> What happens if the Mac crashes half-way through a run?  Does the client
> save work on disc?

I don't know.  Here's a test you can run, though:  Run the client, and
look to see if it creates and updates periodically the rc5-buff.in file.
If it does, then it's checkpointing its work, and a crash wouldn't be
catastrophic.  If the .in file is created/updated only when you quit the
client, then you're likely hosed in a crash.

> How do I tell the client to run a speed check, or execute any of the
> documented run-time options?

When you start the client, it runs a selftest, and calculates the key rate
at the same time.  Click once on the about window, and the little progress
meter should show up.  Also, while munching on keys, the key rate is
displayed in the window.

As for the other run-time options, you can set these in the various
settings dialog boxes (email address, port, etc).

> And has anyone else had trouble with some of the screens taking a minute or
> more to draw?

Yes, I noticed this as well.  If I select the Key Rate window, it would
take about 30 seconds to get a response.  No idea here.

> FWIW, I'm running on a 68LC040 Performa 475, and the v2.000 client appears
> to be no faster than the v1 client - the initial check showed a speed of
> either 5k/sec or 7k/sec during the check, but didn't stop and given me an
> overall exact rate at the end.  The speed I got from the v1 client was
> 6400kkeys/sec.

I'm on a 7200/80.  I saw a speedup from 94Kk/sec to ~143Kk/sec.  Maybe the
optimizations are only for the PPC chip?

Corey