[rc5] the new mac client

Rebecca and Rowland rebecca at astrid.u-net.com
Wed Jul 9 03:32:09 EDT 1997

>Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 16:01:35 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Dave Huang <khym at bga.com>
>Subject: Re: [rc5] the new mac client
>
>On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Greg Trotter wrote:
>> Oh, yeah... THIS is what I've been waiting for!
>>
>> Kudos to Andrew Meegs and any others involved... not only it is prettier,
>> it's almost three times as fast!
>
>Are you running it on a PPC or 68k machine? According to the progress
>window, I'm getting 6kkeys/sec on my Centris 660av (25MHz '040). With the
>v1 client, I was getting around 11 or 12kkeys/sec.

My 25MHz LC040 Mac gets 6408 key/sec with the v1 client, and 5,450 keys/sec
with the v2.000 client. (Progress bar reports 5 kkeys/sec; I got the exact
figure by dividing the number of keys by the processor time used as
reported by Monitor; this worked accurately with the v1 client).

Has the 68K code in the v2 client dropped the floating point instructions
entirely, do you think, replacing the FP instructions with less efficient
integer code than was used before?  And if not, how come it's so slow?

Rowland.