[rc5] the new mac client

Edwin ten Dam etd at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Jul 9 13:24:53 EDT 1997

Thus spoke the keyboard of Rebecca and Rowland (09/07/97):

>>Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 16:01:35 -0500 (CDT)
>>From: Dave Huang <khym at bga.com>
>>Subject: Re: [rc5] the new mac client
>>
>>On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Greg Trotter wrote:
>>> Oh, yeah... THIS is what I've been waiting for!
>>>
>>> Kudos to Andrew Meegs and any others involved... not only it is prettier,
>>> it's almost three times as fast!
>>
>>Are you running it on a PPC or 68k machine? According to the progress
>>window, I'm getting 6kkeys/sec on my Centris 660av (25MHz '040). With the
>>v1 client, I was getting around 11 or 12kkeys/sec.
>>

>My 25MHz LC040 Mac gets 6408 key/sec with the v1 client, and 5,450 keys/sec
>with the v2.000 client. (Progress bar reports 5 kkeys/sec; I got the exact
>figure by dividing the number of keys by the processor time used as
>reported by Monitor; this worked accurately with the v1 client).
>
>Has the 68K code in the v2 client dropped the floating point instructions
>entirely, do you think, replacing the FP instructions with less efficient
>integer code than was used before?  And if not, how come it's so slow?
>
>Rowland.

Well it does write to a log file now (which you can turn off - at the cost
of losing the graphs). You might also want to tweak the background and
foreground settings to speed things up a bit.

cheers,

edwin

Edwin ten Dam                              etd at st-andrews.ac.uk
Division of Cell & Molecular Biology - University of St Andrews
Irvine Building, North Street,  St Andrews, Fife KY16  9AL U.K.
Phone: +44 1334 463404                   - Fax: +44 1334 463400