[rc5] the new mac client

Chris Welbon ctwelbon at email.unc.edu
Wed Jul 9 09:22:44 EDT 1997

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Rebecca and Rowland wrote:

> My 25MHz LC040 Mac gets 6408 key/sec with the v1 client, and 5,450 keys/sec

[...]

> Has the 68K code in the v2 client dropped the floating point instructions
> entirely, do you think, replacing the FP instructions with less efficient
> integer code than was used before?  And if not, how come it's so slow?

Well, my guess is that since the LC040 doesn't have an FPU, the floating
point operations (or lack thereof) in the v2 client shouldn't matter a
whole lot.  Could be wrong, though.

Like someone else suggested, try turning off the log file.

Chris

--
ctwelbon at email.unc.edu     cwelbon at nejm.org     ctwelbon at sunsite.unc.edu

                Installation is the reverse of disassembly.