[rc5] _possible_ solution for v2 personal proxy needers :)

Bob.Rich Bob.Rich at Enterprise.globalec.com
Wed Jul 9 13:23:39 EDT 1997

This is my setup:

  Several pcs and a socks proxy connected via token ring.

This is how i have it working:

On my 'proxy' pc, i've downloaded a demo of wingate (www.wingate.com i think).

Setup a 'TCP Mapping Service' in wingate to forward tcp connections from
localhost:2056 to the IP address of a _specific_ proxy server, port 2056 of
course.  (I didn't have luck setting it to connect to
rc5proxy.distributed.net).  In the connection tab of this TCP map, set it
to go through a SOCKS host (it only says SOCKS4, so if you only support
SOCKS5, you may have to use something like SocksCap)

On the client side, setup to use the 'telnet firewall' option, but change
to port to 2056.  Here's a sample ini.

[parameters]
id=your at email.id
threshold=5
count=0
hours=0
timeslice=65536
niceness=0
logname=rc5v2p6h.log
firemode=5
proxy=ip.address.of.wingate.machine
port=2056
uuehttpmode=0

This seems to be working just fine for me.

Let me know if something is out of whack (that wingate software is pretty
cool!)

Bob