[rc5] New clients leaning towards Intel?

Joey Sum jpsum1 at pop.uky.edu
Wed Jul 9 13:41:43 EDT 1997

>Are the two new betas slowly being optimized for the Intel chip?  I
>switched to beta 1 yesterday and beta 2 today and each interation runs a
>- -sqosh- slower than the previous - when the computer is truly idle (at
>night and during the day - home computer).  I've got the cyrix 6x86L chip
>running on 95B.

>Version 2b1 dropped the idle speed to about 267k keys
>and RAISED the rate to ~220k when otherwised occupied
>now with 2b2, I'm down to 263k keys when idle and 228k when busy...
>I'm mostly just curious, but after seeing a number of requests in the
>archive (on the web), I was kinda hoping to see the Cyrix chip exploited a
>little more  :^)

I've also noticed the same slower speeds in the v2.001 and v2.002 clients vs.
the v2.000 client (Win32) on my Cyrix 6x86.

Fullscreen (no background tasks) - most unnice settings =) :

v2.000 - ~277
v2.001 - ~257
v2.002 - ~254

The speeds are about the same on the P5 or P6 clients.  I don't want to make
a mountain out of a molehill, esp. with so many other more important tasks
to finish, but I'm wondering if it's time to make a Cyrix 6x86 (and possibly
AMD) specific client.

If the dev team want a need to be shown for this Cyrix 6x86 client, I would
be willing to collect votes of support and post totals here for such a client.

Joey